Saturday, March 18, 2017

Silence in Court, by Patricia Wentworth

Ever since I learned that Patricia Wentworth wrote mystery novels that don't feature her detective Miss Maud Silver (I think first from Jane at Beyond Eden Rock), I have been keeping an eye out for them. When I stopped in at my beloved Murder by the Book the other day, I was thrilled to find several shelves of the recent reprints from Dean Street Press. This was the first time I have seen any of them in print, and I was glad to see a list of all the titles. I hadn't realized that some of them feature Miss Silver's frequent collaborators Frank Abbott and Ernest Lamb of Scotland Yard. Nor did I know just how many stand-alone books Patricia Wentworth wrote!

Jennifer at Holds Upon Happiness recently wrote about one of them, Who Pays the Piper?, which sounds like a good one. But it wasn't on the shelves - not that I wasn't spoiled for choice. I was trying to restrain myself, so I only bought two to start with, this one from 1945 and The Dower House Mystery (published in 1925). I didn't remember at the time that this was the very book that Jane had written about.

As it turns out, it was a lucky choice. I think it's one of the best I've read by Patricia Wentworth, and an excellent example of a Golden Age mystery. It opens as Carey Silence steps up into the dock, to face the charge of murdering her relative Honoria Maquisten. The story then moves back to introduce us to Carey, a young woman just out of the hospital, recovering from a German air attack that killed her employer. She hasn't fully recovered, and with no job and no resources, the offer of a place to stay from her distant relative Mrs. Maquisten is very welcome. Carey isn't the only family connection living in the old house at Maitland Square, nor the only one dependent on the old lady's generosity. Mrs. Maquisten is generous, but she also enjoys holding her money over her young relatives' heads, re-writing her will on a regular basis. The arrival of an anonymous letter one day puts her in a rage. A summons to her solicitor follows, and an announcement to the family that one of them will be finally cut out the next day. Instead, the next day finds her dead, and Carey Silence accused of her murder.

I realized part-way through the book that I was subconsciously waiting for Miss Silver to arrive. I know just how she would have insinuated herself into the house and made herself at home. I did worry for a bit how the case would be solved without her. And then I realized that while I had some idea how the story would turn out, if Miss Silver were on the case, Patricia Wentworth might have written an entirely different type of story here. In none of the Miss Silver stories I have read so far has the main protagonist been the criminal (or the victim, for that matter).

One of the main differences I found in this story was how much of it focused on the trial itself. We experience it from Carey's point of view, standing in the dock, realizing that her life is at stake, in the hands of twelve men and women. I thought this part was very well done. It reminded me of one of my favorite Peter Wimsey stories, Strong Poison. Carey is as lucky as Harriet Vane in having a strong advocate at hand, a large American cousin named Jefferson Stewart. It's too bad she couldn't have Sir Impey Biggs for the defense!

I also enjoyed the brief biographical sketch of Patricia Wentworth that introduces the book. It mentions the historical fiction that she published before turning to crime. It might be interesting to find those books. I know I'll be adding more of these new reprints to my shelves before too long.

8 comments:

  1. I just looked up Murder by the Book since you have mentioned it several times. Oh my. I wish I had a book store like that near me. I know I can order things online but it is not anywhere near as satisfying as just browsing.

    I am going to keep my eye out for more Patricia Wentworth mysteries. I really did enjoy Who Pays the Piper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was counting up the other day how many books I've bought there - and not just mysteries. I got a lot of Georgette Heyer and PG Wodehouse, and even a first edition of Dorothy Dunnett's King Hereafter, when it was out of print. It's great for browsing, but deadly for budgets!

      Delete
  2. I am so pleased that you thought well of this book too. I half-expected a cameo appearance Miss Silver, and thought she could have been sitting up in the court's public gallery, knitting away.

    There's nothing like 'Murder by the Book' here, but you have made me think of 'Murder One' in Charing Cross Road where I used to pick up US crime novels that weren't published over here in my lunch breaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These reprints are going to be very, very bad for my book budget.

      I have been trying to think if Miss Silver ever goes to court. It seems to me that most of her stories end with the solving of the crime, and sometimes the reunion of a couple separated by the case. She would certainly be the perfect witness!

      Delete
  3. I had an enormous e-binge on her non-Miss Silvers last year and read ?most of them -- such a satisfactory cozy time. The quality does vary, but I don't think we're reading them for a big intellectual puzzle ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find her very binge-able! It's been a bit of a problem finding print copies of her books, but the new DSP editions will take care of that, at least for the non Silver books.

      Delete
  4. I am buying the ones I was missing, one by one, and am so delighted to know I will finally have a complete set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to ration my purchases so I don't blow my book budget up (again).

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!